Books on Nova ScotiaG
Click the letter and you will be brought to the appropriate list.
(Click on letter to go to index.)
- Ganong, William Francis:
- Crucial Maps in the Early Cartography and Place-nomenclature
of the Atlantis Coast of Canada (The Royal Society of Canada and
the University of Toronto Press, 1964).
§ Introduction by Theodore E. Layng;
§ On the subject of early maps, also see:
Gilroy, and Volpi:
and see a Catalogue of the Maps in the Collection of the Geographic
Board, (Ottawa: January, 1949); and the Canadian (federal) Archives,
Report, vol. II, "List of Maps at the Record Office," (Ottawa: 1922).
- Champlain's Island (Ste. Croix)
(New Brunswick Museum, 1945).
- Garneau, Fancois-Xavier (1809-66)):
§ See separate page on Garneau, a French Canadian author.
- History of Canada; trs. by Andrew Bell; 2 Vols.; (Montreal: Lovell, 1862).
- Gaudet, Placide:§ Gaudet was born in 1850 with Tidiche, N.B. He studied at the college Saint-Joseph (1864-1873). He became, in turn, a teacher, a journalist and a généalogiste-historian, "devoting the major part of its life to the examination of parochial registers and official correspondences with an aim of reconstituting the genealogy of the principal acadian families." I good part of his work was carried our by Gaudet at a time he was employed with the Public Records Office at Ottawa. Anything I have come across on Gaudet has been part of the early 19th century publications (Reports) of the Canadian Archives.
- See the Canadian (federal) Archives Report(FACAR); Genealogy and documents concerning the expulsion of the Acadians, with index, vol. II,
(Ottawa: S.E. Dawson, 1906).
- Gazetteer Of Canada:
- Geographical Names of Nova Scotia (Ottawa: Government of Canada, 1978). [Also see Brown's work, Place Names of the Province of Nova Scotia; and see Fergusson's work; and see Elizabeth Frame's work; and see Ganong's work on Gaspe, Blomidon, and Bras d'Or.]
- Gesner, Abraham (1797-1864):
- The Industrial Resources of Nova Scotia; (Halifax: MacKinlay, 1849).
- Prophet of the Wilderness by Allison Mitcham; (Hantsport: Lancelot Press, 1995).
- The Best of Abraham Gesner also by Mitcham; (Hantsport: Lancelot Press, 1995).
- Gillis, Jas. D.:
- The Cape Breton Giant (MacAskill); (Halifax: Allen Print, nd).
- Gillis, Major R:
- "Stray Leaves from Highland History"; a 43 page pamphlet with green covers; (Grand Mira; 1918).
§ Information on the original settlers of Grand Mira parish and those immigrants from the two highland districts of Morar and South Uist.
- Gilpin, John Bernard (1810-92):
- Sable Island; (Halifax: Wesleyan Conference Steam Press, 1858).
§ A lecture delivered before the Athenaeum Society, February,
- Gilroy, Marion:
- A Catalogue of Maps, Plans and Charts in the Public Archives
of Nova Scotia; Bulletin Vol. I, No. 3 (Halifax: PANS, 1938); 95 pp.
§ On the subject of maps, see also: Dawson, DesBarres, Ganong, and Volpi: And see a Catalogue of the Maps in
the Collection of the Geographic Board, (Ottawa: January, 1949);
and the Canadian (federal) Archives, Report, vol. II, "List of Maps at the
Record Office," (Ottawa: 1922).]
- Loyalists and Land Settlement in Nova Scotia; Land Warrants, Grants and Escheats
c.1784-1801; Publication No. 4 of the Geneological Committee (Royal Nova Scotia
Historical Society; (Halifax: PANS, 1980).
- Girard, Philip & Jim Phillips (U. of Toronto):
- Essays in the History of Canadian Law, Vol III -
Nova Scotia (For The Osgoode Society by University
of Toronto Press, 1990).
§ Justice in Annapolis Royal, 1713-1749; Superior Court of Nova
Scotia, 1754-1900; Prisons and Punishments in Nova Scotia, before 1880;
Divorce in N. S., 1750-1890 [Tipped into this book is 21 pp. art.
out of the Dalhousie Journal of Legal Studies, "The Chancery Court of Nova
Scotia: Jurisdiction and Procedure 1751-1855." See, also, "'Securing
Obedience to Necessary Laws': The Criminal Law in Eighteenth-Century Nova
Scotia," NSHR, 12:2(1992). The 5th vol.
in this series (Phillips, Loo, and Lewthwaite) was brought out by
U. of T. in 1994.]
- Griffiths, Naomi E. S.:
§ Griffiths earned her Doctorate from the University of London.
- The Acadian Deportation: Deliberate Perfidy or Cruel Necessity? (Copp Clark, 1969).
- The Acadians: Creation Of A People (McGraw-Hill, 1973).
§ Part of series brought out by University of Western Toronto.
- The Contexts of Acadian History; 1686-1784 (McGill-Queen's University Press, 1993).
- Gwyn, Julian:
§ Gwyn was (is?) a professor of History at Ottawa.
- The Enterprising Admiral: The Personal Fortune of Admiral Sir Peter Warren (Montreal: McGill-Queen's Press, 1974).